A 16-year-old girl turned a Tennessee middle school football game into a criminal case when she ran onto the field and slammed into a tween player moments after a touchdown.
The girl was charged with assault and disorderly conduct by the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office after the Tuesday night game between South Middle School and Cornersville Middle School at Franklin County High School in Winchester, according to WSMV.
Her punishment also reached beyond court. Franklin County Schools served the teenager with a lifetime trespass ban covering all district properties. The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association separately barred her from every Cornersville Middle School athletic event, whether the team is playing at home or away.
The blowup came after South scored a touchdown and made the extra point.
Players briefly tangled on the field, and the teenage girl then entered the playing area and went toward a South player who had been part of the fracas.
Footage captured the girl reaching the player and sending him down during the game.
When he tried to get up, she shoved him onto the field again.
🪖Seventeen battle-tested candidates are ready to strike a decisive blow to the Democrat Machine — but they urgently need resources. 🪖 Join the grassroots push to save the House Majority and back them today! ➡️➡️➡️ Make a 17X impact!!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
A man who appeared to be a coach rushed over and put himself between the teenager and the player before any more physical contact could happen.
WSMV reported that a school resource officer met the girl while she was being escorted off the field. She was later released into her parents’ custody.
The Tennessee attack brought a rare lifetime school-property ban for a teenage spectator, while other recent sports violence cases ended with police reviews, arrests and calls for harsher discipline.
At Wrigley Field, the Cubs’ 7-5 victory over the White Sox on Monday night was followed by a fight in the stands during the Crosstown Classic.
TMZ reported that three people were arrested after the ballpark melee.
Video on social media captured roughly a dozen men fighting in the seating area as drinks were thrown and fists started flying.
An elderly security staffer tried to separate two arguing groups before one man kicked toward someone on the other side and the fight spread.
Fans nearby screamed and scrambled out of the way.
One man in a blue Cubs jersey tried to shield his head while several men hit him repeatedly. Video later showed blood around his mouth and head.
Security guards and police officers eventually got into the stands and pulled the groups apart.
TMZ reported that a 41-year-old man was charged with misdemeanor battery and felony possession of cocaine.
Two other men, ages 33 and 29, were charged with misdemeanor criminal trespass.
The Cubs addressed the fight after the arrests and said fan safety remained the team’s priority.
“The safety of our fans is always a top priority,” the team said. “We work closely with our public safety partners to respond to incidents at the ballpark and appreciate their partnership in addressing the situation last night.”
Another youth-sports fight had already put police in South Dakota onto a high school soccer case involving Brookings High School player Kyler Soost and Rapid City Central’s Jaxson Bergman.
That game between the Bobcats and the Cobblers was nearing halftime when the players collided.
After the contact, Bergman confronted Soost, pushed him down, kicked him in the back of the head and threw several punches at his head.
The referee and coaches ran onto the field to intervene. One of Soost’s teammates also confronted Bergman.
Bergman received a red card, and the game continued after a 10-minute delay.
The game had been carried live on YouTube, and the footage later moved across social media. Many viewers called for Bergman to receive a lifetime ban.
Brookings Police told KELOLAND that officers planned to interview more than 100 witnesses and examine extensive video connected to the fight.
South Dakota High School Activities Association executive director Dan Swartos told KELOLAND that a player who receives a red card must sit out the next game and complete a sportsmanship course.
Brookings School District Superintendent Dr. Summer Schultz responded by saying school athletics come with responsibilities beyond winning.
“Participation in school athletics is a privilege,” Schultz said. “With that privilege comes the responsibility to compete with sportsmanship, respect, and accountability.”
Schultz said the district could not discuss private student discipline, including between school districts, but would continue supporting students and reviewing lessons from the episode.
She asked the public to remember that the South Dakota fight involved young people, even after the video spread far beyond the game.
“I would ask everyone to remember that we are dealing with young people, and our obligation is to provide a safe and supportive environment as they move forward from an incident that has gained national attention,” Schultz said.
Schultz said school athletics should help students become “better competitors, teammates, and people.”
