Sponsored

Two Killed In Horror High School Hockey Game Shooting

3 mins read
Hockey Game Shooting
Photo Credit: CBS News/YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2jutpXUxs

Two people were killed Monday after a gunman unleashed gunfire inside a packed Rhode Island hockey arena before turning the weapon on himself.

Panic tore through Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket during a high school tournament game as shots rang out from the spectator stands.

Police confirmed the unidentified male shooter fired into the crowd before dying from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Authorities are not searching for additional suspects.

According to CNN, the shooting was related to domestic violence, with the suspect gunning down members of his own family. A young girl and another unnamed victim were killed.

Four other people were rushed to area hospitals following the attack. Officials have not released details about their conditions.

Investigators said the gunfire erupted during a game involving a co-op team made up of Coventry and Johnston students competing against a combined squad from St. Raphael, PCD, North Providence and North Smithfield. The tournament began at 2 p.m.

Hockey players on the ice escaped injury because the shooting occurred in the stands near spectators rather than on the rink itself.

Witness accounts describe confusion and terror as families scrambled for safety. An employee at a nearby Walgreens reported children bursting into the store in a panic, shouting that a shooting was underway.

Store workers were instructed to shut down and evacuate as frightened kids hid inside the building until police secured the area.

A local sports reporter identified a Pawtucket father as a “hero” after he reportedly grabbed one of the shooter’s guns during the chaos. Authorities indicated the suspect possessed a second weapon at the time.

Federal agents joined state and local officers in the response. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives confirmed its Boston division was assisting investigators.

“ATF agents are responding to a reported shooting in Pawtucket, RI, to assist state and local authorities. The public should avoid the area and follow the directions of Pawtucket police,” the agency posted on X.

Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee acknowledged the unfolding tragedy and said he had spoken with local leaders and state police.

“I just spoke with Mayor Grebien as well as the Rhode Island State Police who are working with local law enforcement,” McKee stated. “I am praying for Pawtucket and everyone involved.”

Officials from surrounding communities reacted as well. East Providence Mayor Bob DaSilva described the violence as a “horrendous mass shooting incident” and confirmed that one girl had been killed while four others were injured. He added that the shooter “apparently also took his life.”

School districts with students participating in the tournament moved quickly to reassure families.

St. Raphael Academy released a message acknowledging “there was a horrific incident with an active shooter” and confirmed none of its students were hurt.

Coventry’s superintendent reported that all town students were accounted for and safe while staff coordinated with law enforcement and event officials.

“We are aware of a serious reported incident at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, where our Boys Hockey team was playing. Information is still developing, and we are actively working with event staff and local authorities to understand the situation,” the district wrote.

“We have been informed that students are secured in multiple locations. At this time, we are still working to confirm the status and location of all individuals. Our priority is the safety of our students and staff, and we are moving as quickly as possible to gather accurate information,” the message continued.

Johnston Public Schools also confirmed that its student-athletes were safe.

“We have confirmed that our Johnston High School student-athlete who was participating in the game is safe. We are also aware of another Johnston student who was in attendance, and that student is safe as well. At this time, to the best of our knowledge, no Johnston High School students were harmed during this incident,” the district announced.

The shooting comes amid a string of school-related threats and incidents in Florida.

In Volusia County , deputies arrested a 15-year-old Atlantic High School student last week after receiving a tip that he posted about “shooting up his high school.” Authorities confirmed he was taken into custody on a felony charge.

Officials warned that they will act swiftly when threats surface.

“I can’t solve every issue out there that might cause a 15-year-old to post what he posted. But I can guarantee we’re going to act quickly to protect the 99% of kids who just want to know they’re safe at school. Once again, parents, talk to your kids before they make this mistake,” law enforcement stated.

Earlier that same week, another 15-year-old in Florida was arrested after investigators uncovered written threats targeting Choctawhatchee High School.

Authorities said the teen had been making increasingly specific threats between December 2025 and January 2026.

A forensic review of his phone revealed a document titled “List 2026” containing names of students connected to the school, though no weapons were recovered.

The suspect told investigators the threats were “jokes,” but he was transported to a Department of Juvenile Justice facility.

Okaloosa County Sheriff Eric Aden commended those who reported the alarming behavior.

“I commend those who reported the threats. Their willingness to speak up may have prevented a dangerous situation. Reporting concerns is the best way to protect your classmates, your school, your community, and yourself,” Aden stated.

“I encourage parents to please talk to your children about the seriousness of violent statements and the importance of reporting concerning behavior immediately to school administrators or law enforcement. We are proud of our successful partnership with the Okaloosa County School District as well as those who did the right thing and came forward.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog