Sponsored
/

College Football Player Behind Bars After Stabbing Teammates

3 mins read
UAB Player mugshot
Photo Credit: KTVN 2 News Nevada/YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rG9Z5kse8o

Horror rippled through the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s football program early Saturday as two student-athletes were stabbed by one of their own hours before the Blazers were scheduled to take the field.

According to Birmingham police, the violent confrontation unfolded inside the team’s operations facility during the early morning while players and staff were preparing for the matchup against South Florida.

In information relayed by OutKick, university officials stated, “UAB Police and Public Safety is investigating an assault that took place this morning at the Football Operations Center. Injuries are believed to be non-life threatening. The suspect is in custody, and there is no threat to campus.”

Jail records from Jefferson County, as reported by the same outlet, identify the suspect as Blazers offensive lineman Daniel Mincey, who authorities said was booked on attempted murder and aggravated assault charges.

Mincey, who joined UAB after transferring from Kentucky following the 2024 season, was taken into custody not long after the incident.

Both wounded players were rushed to UAB Hospital, where medical teams treated them for the injuries they sustained. Both players have since been released from the hospital.

The university offered a public update noting improvement in their condition.

“We’re grateful to report that two players injured in an incident this morning at the Football Operations Building are in stable condition,” UAB said in a statement shared with OutKick.

“Our thoughts are with them and their families as they recover. The suspect – another player – remains in custody.”

The university added that an investigation is underway and that the decision to proceed with the day’s game was made by the team.

Officials said that “The team elected to play today’s game. UAB’s top priority remains the safety and well-being of all of our students. Given patient privacy and the ongoing investigation, we have no further comment at this time.”

Additional reporting from The New York Times’s Athletic section noted that Jefferson County records document Mincey’s booking at 12:40 p.m. Saturday.

The Athletic noted that Mincey has been “charged with aggravated assault and attempted murder.”

Despite the shocking circumstances, the Blazers moved forward with the scheduled contest against the University of South Florida. South Florida ultimately defeated UAB 48 to 18.

In an unrelated but equally grim development within the college football world, former University of Virginia player Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. received a series of severe criminal penalties on Friday.

Jones, who was convicted of killing three of his former teammates, was handed five life sentences.

WTVR booked that Jones fatally shot University of Virginia players D’Sean Perry, Lavel Davis Jr. and Devin Chandler, while also injuring two other students during an attack on a charter bus that had just returned from a class trip to Washington, D.C.

FOX News noted that the judge added an additional 23 years to Jones’s punishment beyond the five life terms.

Jones blamed the emotional fallout from his parents’ divorce for the slayings, saying that his father’s departure had been profoundly difficult for him.

His father publicly stated that his son should have reached out for help rather than committing the killings.

Elsewhere in Rhode Island, a high school football program has been shut down for the remainder of its season following disturbing allegations involving a special needs student.

Newport Police said two 16-year-old players from Rogers High School are now facing assault charges after a student described as having “severe impairments” was reportedly whipped inside the locker room.

Because the accused players are juveniles, authorities have not released their names. Investigators confirmed that the case remains active.

Newport Public Schools Superintendent Colleen Burns Jermain informed families that the incident had been captured on video.

She wrote that the footage “shows other players not intervening, or bringing this matter to the attention of an adult.”

“This is a serious matter and there is no grey area when it comes to behavior like this. Those involved will face appropriate disciplinary actions in accordance with our district policies,” Jermain added.

“Our athletes need to understand as leaders, as athletes, and as representatives of our community, that this behavior will never be tolerated at Newport Public Schools.”

Video shared by Newport Buzz shows a seated student being struck repeatedly with a belt or strap by one player, while another clip depicts a kneeling student apologizing before being hit across the face with what appeared to be a rubber stretching band.

Newport Police issued a separate statement noting that bullying “will not be tolerated or condoned,” and said such incidents will be fully investigated.

In Georgia, tensions spilled over on the field Friday night during a high school football matchup between Brunswick High School and Gainesville High School.

With Gainesville leading decisively at 42 to 0 and fewer than two minutes left in the third quarter, a massive brawl rapidly escalated.

Video circulating online shows players from both sidelines rushing toward midfield, quickly turning a brief confrontation into a full-scale melee.

Officials immediately called off the game, and it was not resumed. Authorities have not provided details about the initial spark of the altercation or whether disciplinary action will follow for any players involved.

Thirty-nine players from Gainesville were reportedly suspended from school on Monday. The exact amount of Brunswick players that are facing suspensions have still yet to be determined.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog