Sponsored

Parents Of Missing Baby Face Scrutiny After Cutting Off Cooperation

3 mins read
missing baby Emmanuel Haro's mother
Photo Credit: ABC7/YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABD0hfQSjaM

A dramatic tale of a California mother claiming her missing baby was abducted in a store parking lot has taken a startling turn.

Mother account of abduction of missing baby called into question

Investigators now say her account is riddled with inconsistencies and the probe has shifted in a new direction.

Rebecca Haro, in a tear-filled interview Friday with Los Angeles station KABC-TV, pleaded for help locating her missing baby, 7-month-old Emmanuel.

Standing beside her husband, Jake Haro, she said she had been assaulted while changing the child’s diaper outside a Yucaipa store the evening prior.

Rebecca claimed she heard a man utter the word, “Hola,” before being struck unconscious.

When she regained awareness, she said, her infant was nowhere to be found.

Appearing on camera with a swollen eye, Rebecca recounted to ABC 7 Eyewitness News, “I got him out of the car seat, and I laid him down so I can get his diaper ready … all I remember, I saw white … I fell on the floor, and as soon as I got up, I couldn’t find my son.”

Authorities with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department revealed on Saturday that they were dispatched to the scene around 7:47 p.m. Thursday.

But after interviewing Rebecca, they flagged multiple contradictions in her version of events.

Investigators noted that while foul play had not been eliminated from consideration, Rebecca’s statements raised serious concerns.

Detectives said an Amber Alert was not issued, as there were no details provided about a suspect or vehicle.

Adding to the mystery, no surveillance video captured the alleged abduction in the area where Emmanuel was said to have vanished.

According to the department, Rebecca stopped cooperating with detectives once they confronted her about the gaps in her story.

“Investigators interviewed multiple individuals, including Emmanuel’s parents Jake and Rebecca Haro,” the SBCSD said in a press statement.

“During those interviews, Rebecca was confronted with inconsistencies in her initial statement and declined to continue with the interview.”

By Sunday, law enforcement officers were seen with cadaver dogs at the couple’s residence in Cabazon, further deepening public speculation about the case.

Child removed from home of missing baby

On Monday, KNBC-TV reported that Riverside County Child Protective Services had taken custody of the Haros’ 2-year-old daughter. A spokesperson with the sheriff’s department confirmed the child’s removal.

Meanwhile, the Uvalde Foundation for Kids, a national child safety organization, initially offered to coordinate search efforts and a $5,000 reward for information leading to Emmanuel.

But those plans were abruptly canceled after Rebecca ceased cooperating with law enforcement.

“Something is not right in this whole picture,” said Daniel Chapin, the group’s founder. “We hope law enforcement will continue to pursue the case so that this precious child may be found and placed in a safe environment.”

As of the latest update, authorities continue to search for Emmanuel, who is described as weighing 21 pounds and standing approximately 24 inches tall.

He has brown hair, brown eyes, and is cross-eyed. At the time he went missing, he was reportedly dressed in a black Nike onesie.

Officials stressed the investigation remains active, though no suspect descriptions have been released.

Father’s criminal history surfaces

Adding another layer of shock to the case are revelations about father Jake Haro’s criminal past.

Court documents show Haro was convicted in 2023 of felony child cruelty linked to a 2018 incident in Hemet, California. He served six months behind bars and remains on probation.

More recently, Haro was arrested again in 2024 for allegedly possessing a firearm and ammunition, despite his felony record.

Prosecutors say deputies discovered a Palmetto State Armory handgun and ammunition in his possession.

In August 2024, Haro posted $10,000 bail to secure his release. Records indicate he pleaded guilty to two charges in June for illegal possession of firearms and ammunition as a convicted felon and narcotics addict.

He has a court hearing scheduled next month to determine whether these violations could send him back to prison.

Despite his troubled record, Jake appeared on television last week, issuing a desperate plea to whoever might have taken his son: “We just want him back … Keep him safe, don’t hurt him.”

The Haros are parents to at least two other children, though it is unclear who was directly involved in the earlier child abuse case.

Grandmother of missing baby defends parents

The baby’s grandmother has publicly defended the parents, telling reporters she believes both Rebecca and Jake are innocent.

She added that investigators requested Rebecca take a polygraph exam, while Jake declined without an attorney present.

In a Monday update, the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department said, “Investigators have conducted extensive searches in Yucaipa and Cabazon, looking for Emmanuel and any evidence that might lead to his location and circumstances surrounding his disappearance.”

Officials also confirmed multiple search warrants were served at the Haro residence and “a large amount of surveillance video has been obtained from areas of interest and are being reviewed.”

Defense attorney Vincent Hughes, who previously represented Jake Haro in the 2018 child cruelty case, confirmed he is again acting as legal counsel for the 32-year-old father as detectives dig into the disappearance of baby Emmanuel.

Hughes stressed that his client is cooperating fully with the investigation.

“The parents of the 7-month-old infant reported kidnapped Aug. 14 in Yucaipa seek answers about their missing child, Emmanuel Haro,” Hughes told News Channel 3 outside the Haro residence in Cabazon. “Jake Haro is fully cooperating with law enforcement and investigators.”

Hughes clarified that he does not represent Rebecca. He also claimed that the couple has been receiving death threats.

As of Monday evening, law enforcement continued active searches across Yucaipa and Cabazon, executing warrants and combing through surveillance footage while the Haro family remained under close scrutiny.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog